What does the citizen need to obtain the idCAT Certificate?
To obtain the idCAT, according to Law 6/2020, of November 11, and the conditions of use of the service , just:
- Be 18 years or older
- Have one of the following valid identification documents (original and photocopy):
- DNI (from any of the member countries of the Schengen Area ),
- NIE (must have photo, if not, additional document must be provided)
- Have an email address
NOTES on identification documents:
- To issue the idCAT Certificate, only the identification documents listed in the previous list are accepted.
- Foreigners can prove their NIE number by providing the following documents:
- TIE: in addition to the NIE it has a photograph and is therefore used to issue the idCAT with this card. Please note that according to the applicable regulations, the validity of the TIE card is extended until the resolution of the extension request, as long as the renewal has been requested up to 90 days after its expiry and is pending issue the corresponding resolution (Regulation for the development of the Organic Law on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain).
- European Union citizen registration certificate: it is necessary to provide another official document with a photograph (for example passport or ID card from the country of origin).
- The administrations have configured their applications to allow electronic processing with the certificates made with NIF and NIE; however, it is not usual for them to allow access with certificates issued from a passport or ID card from other countries. The procedures that can be carried out independently of the accrediting document contained in the certificate are those that have nothing to do with public administration, such as, for example, the signing of documents.
Models of identification documents:
|The DNI certifies the identity of the holder, as well as the Spanish nationality of the same. National identity documents from any of the member countries of the Schengen agreement are also accepted|
|The foreigner's identity card (TIE) is a physical document that certifies the legal residence of a foreigner in Spain.|
|Certificate of Registration of Citizens of the European Union. Document that accredits the registration of citizens of the Union in the Central Register of Foreigners. This document must always be accompanied by a document with a photograph, ID or Passport|
|Passport personal identification document with international validity, which identifies its holder, issued by the authorities of a country.|